HEART 2014 Design Contest: Blokus Duo
- Jun.12: Game logs and standings are available
- May.8: Submission closed. Preliminary list of entries is here!
Following the successful FPGA design competition in ICFPT 2013, we're planning another Blokus Duo design contest in HEART 2014. It'll be basically same to the ICFPT 2013 design competition, but we expect several changes in the regulation, along the scope of HEART symposium.
Blokus Duo is a two-player game played on a square, 14x14 grid board. Each player has 21 different-shaped game tiles. Each new piece played must be placed to contact at least one piece of the same color with their corner-to-corner. Edge-to-edge contact is only allowed to the other color.
FPGA contest + other devices
In HEART 2014, we'll have a design contest on Blokus Duo. Besides the FPGA-to-FPGA matches, we'll have a "heterogeneous" exhibition matches, such as FPGA-to-GPGPU, because HEART is about "highly-efficient Accelerators."
There are 2 categories in HEART 2014 design contest entry:
- FPGA category
- Same as traditional FPGA design contest in HEART 2012 or ICFPT 2013.
- See the approved FPGA board / device list in the "Tools" page.
- Unlimited category
- Any system that does not exceed "Single socket MPU + Single chip accelerator"
- Systems without MPU are also welcome in this category, such as a large FPGA (that does not fit FPGA regulation) or any other reconfigurable device.
Every contest design (boards or computers) must be on site and connected to the host PC via RS-232C. The pre-finals will be competed within each category, then the best designs will go to the final exhibition matches.
|Team||Institution||Board||Strategy, tool etc.|
|TNT||Tokyo Institute of Tech.||Digilent Atlys||Min-max based search / PlanAhead|
|Blokus Duo Solver I||Shizuoka Univ.||Altera ArriaII GX Dev. kit||Alpha-Beta|
|Sakura-Duo||Nagasaki Univ.||Terasic DE2-115||Monte-Carlo tree search / stream|
|Harekus||Okayama Univ.||Terasic DE2-115||Alpha-Beta|
|Ponkotsu||Tohoku Institute of Tech.||Terasic DE2-115||Monte-Carlo w/NIOS|
|RS Blokus||Nagasaki Univ.||Terasic DE2-115||Alpha-Beta|
|Kuma 2 Duo||Kumamoto Univ.||Digilent Nexys4||Alpha-Beta + Heuristic|
|SATSUMA||Kagoshima Univ.||Terasic DE2-115||Monte-Carlo tree search|
|RADC*||Hiroshima City Univ.||Digilent Nexys4||Alpha-Beta|
|Y-Style||Kochi Univ. of Tech.||Terasic DE2-115||HDL Design|
|Mt.Cape||Ritsumeikan Univ.||Terasic DE2-115||Alpha-Beta / Impulse C|
|BLUE STORM||Ritsumeikan Univ.||Digilent Nexys4||Minmax-based search / Impulse C|
|Cry-Wolf||Keio Univ.||Digilent Nexys4||Alpha-Beta / CWB|
|KRAB||Kitakyushu City Univ.||Terasic DE2-115||Zone concept: alpha-beta based|
|TEAM ERTL||Nagoya Univ.||Terasic DE2-115||Depth-first search / CWB|
|PulseR||Ritsumeikan Univ.||Digilent Nexys4||Greedy simulation / Impulse C|
|Blokus Duo Solver II||Shizuoka Univ.||Altera Stratix V Dev. kit||Extended version of Blokus Duo Solver I|
|Suki!Suki!Skip!HKT48!!!||Kagoshima Univ.||Xilinx VC707||Monte-Carlo Tree Search with Machine Learning|
|Healthy Ninja||Keio Univ.||Geforce GTX780Ti||Monte-Carlo|
*: RADC=Recofigurable Application Diffusion Committee
Finals & Exhibition
|1||Blokus Duo Solver I||Blokus Duo Solver I|
|2||Kuma 2 Duo||Blokus Duo Solver II|
|4||BLUE STORM||Kuma 2 Duo|
|5||Mt. Cape||Healty Ninja|
|A League||B League||C League|
|1||Blokus Duo Solver I||RADC*||Kuma 2 Duo|
|2||Mt. Cape||BLUE STORM||Cry-Wolf|
Game logs (zip 200kB) are available!
- Contest chair: Feel free to ask any question about the competition:
- Yasunori Osana at the University of the Ryukyus <osana at eee.u-ryukyu.ac.jp>.
- Contest committees
- Yasutaka Wada (The University of Electro-Communications)
- Eiko Sugawara (Akita National College of Technology)
- Jubee Tada (Yamagata University)